Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight, Sold & loaded on a trailer! Headed to Florida to Tommy
JRust
post Apr 26 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #241

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I brought my LE home today. After 10 months of being at this shop. I am in the same boat as when I dropped it off. Well some parts have been replaced. Not sure if I am any closer though. I won't get to mess with it until late saturday

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 26 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #242

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Dude... You need to get that thing running... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Apr 26 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #243

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

OK guys, how about a Saturday work party at Jamie's place...there so many talented 914 gurus in the area--this is one 914 that deserves to be at this year's WCR under its own power.
Jamie...you have been amazingly patient. I wish I was closer.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 26 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #244

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 26 2011, 08:33 PM) *

OK guys, how about a Saturday work party at Jamie's place...there so many talented 914 gurus in the area--this is one 914 that deserves to be at this year's WCR under its own power.
Jamie...you have been amazingly patient. I wish I was closer.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
If only I was closer...
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 26 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #245

914 Guru

I will be doing some troubleshooting this saturday afternoon. I can't get to it any sooner. I will figure out where I stand then. I really have no idea where I am at right now with it. I may bring it down & leave it with McMark. Just let him figure it out & write a check when I pick it up to drive it home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . I will put some time in it before that happens. Still I have 2 other conversions I need to work on. I just want this finished & running. Then it is going up for sale. Hell it would be for sale now if what I could get not running wouldn't be insulting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 29 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #246

914 Guru

Yeah I am working on this again tommorow! Wish me luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 30 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #247

914 Guru

Okay well first thing was I needed a battery. Next I started checking wires. Fuel pump wasn't plugged in. Next was my distributor that McMark rebuilt for me was still sitting in the passenger seat. So I started by replacing the old distributor with the rebuilt one with petronix in it. I managed to get the wires backwords on the coil though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . There was only the one green wire coming off the old distributor. I assumed that was the hot wire & not the ground. So I put the red hotwire from the new distributor on the same side the green wire was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . Once I went to try turning it over I got smoke (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . So out came the new rebuilt distributor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) . I put the old one back in & went to start it again. Turns over no problem but not firing. I listen for the fuel pump & don't hear anything. I then have my wife come out to turn on the car while I am under by the fuel pump. turning on the key doesn't make any difference with the pump. So it isn't getting power. I checked fuses & swapped relays. Next I am going to hotwire it to see if it is the pump.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 30 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #248

914 Guru

Okay so I hotwired the fuel pump. Even straight power I get nothing. So the fuel pump is toast. I sprayed a little starter fluid in the intake. Got a nice little cough which is an improvement. Right now the fuel pump needs replaced. Which strangely enough was one problem at the shop. He said my fuel pump was flat out dead. I brought him 2 different pumps. 1st was bad & leaked. The second one I brought him was a good working unit. He told me he had put the fuel pump in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . I'm thinking it was just one of those times he tried to make me think he did some work on it. I'd be willing to bet the fuel pump I dropped off is sitting somewhere at his shop. I'll be calling him to see if thats the case. If not this is the second pump in the car that is completely dead. Which means there is some problem causing that. I don't have another pump so I'm stuck waiting until I do
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Apr 30 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #249

Member No.: 8,341

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 30 2011, 01:58 PM) *

Okay so I hotwired the fuel pump. Even straight power I get nothing. So the fuel pump is toast. I sprayed a little starter fluid in the intake. Got a nice little cough which is an improvement. Right now the fuel pump needs replaced. Which strangely enough was one problem at the shop. He said my fuel pump was flat out dead. I brought him 2 different pumps. 1st was bad & leaked. The second one I brought him was a good working unit. He told me he had put the fuel pump in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . I'm thinking it was just one of those times he tried to make me think he did some work on it. I'd be willing to bet the fuel pump I dropped off is sitting somewhere at his shop. I'll be calling him to see if thats the case. If not this is the second pump in the car that is completely dead. Which means there is some problem causing that. I don't have another pump so I'm stuck waiting until I do

Jamie, there's a special place in heaven for guys like you and a special place in hell for your mechanic. We're pulling for you.

Tom
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Apr 30 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #250

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 30 2011, 02:58 PM) *

I sprayed a little starter fluid in the intake. Got a nice little cough

Cough is good news. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) What kind of mechanic did you bring your car to? You gave him a good 2ltr for his work...I'm sorry for sounding a bit put out, but a year later???

Test the voltage at the fuel pump harness before you connect another pump. Also make sure the relay is good and the fuse hasn't been rigged. It's hard to believe you had 2-3 bad pumps, but hey who knows. Might want to just hot wire the next pump for now and see if you can get your motor running.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 30 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #251

914 Guru

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 30 2011, 06:38 PM) *

Cough is good news. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) What kind of mechanic did you bring your car to? You gave him a good 2ltr for his work...I'm sorry for sounding a bit put out, but a year later???

Test the voltage at the fuel pump harness before you connect another pump. Also make sure the relay is good and the fuse hasn't been rigged. It's hard to believe you had 2-3 bad pumps, but hey who knows. Might want to just hot wire the next pump for now and see if you can get your motor running.

Yeah the cough is good news. I actually checked more fuel pumps before putting them in. Went through more like 5 but all had issues with leakage. I'm pretty sure this is the dead one. I should be able to get the working one from him this week. I will check the voltage from the harness too. What should it be putting out voltage wise with the key on?

As far as feeling put out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . It's my own fault. I should have picked it up a long time ago. Guy had some serious personal & health issues come up. Still doesn't quite cover why it would take so long. So while I will never take a 914 back there. I also am not going to bash his business publicly. I certainly won't be sending any of my friends to see him either. Having said all that. He is a nice guy & I wouldn't avoid him if I saw him.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 3 2011, 01:13 AM
Post #252

914 Guru

Okay so lack of time & troubleshooting skills has led me to take the LE down to McMark. I am heading down this saturday & dropping it off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) While I would love it to be something simple & cheap. To simple will make me look like an idiot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . Hell I'll just be happy to have it fixed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
banksyinoz
post Jun 3 2011, 05:01 AM
Post #253

finally getting back into it

Member No.: 4,293
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

so much patience, i would have been locked up for murder by now if i was in your shoes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

wishing for a happy ending soon
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jun 3 2011, 07:37 AM
Post #254

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

You are a very patient person..sorry its taking so long to get the work done but you have made lots of progress (mostly on your side)...I actually have a brand new stock Bosch fuel pump that I don't need after switching to carbs...its been in storage for over 10 years but was new in the box, the only problem is its on the other side of the world for me now (in Canada)..I would gladly trade it to you for some parts or sell at a fair price...but I would need to make it back to Canada for a bit to pick it up.

I hope you get things sorted out with your car. I love the creamsicles and hope you don't sell it.

Also you have a cool first name!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Jamie (nsr-jamie)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 3 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #255

914 Guru

I did find a fuel pump. I came home with 5 from the transmission clinic. The first I tried leaked like a sieve. The second was totally dead. The 3rd pump seemed to do the trick. I know it is working & I have pressure. Now I don't think my injectors are working. Anyway McMark will figure it all out soon.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jun 3 2011, 01:25 PM
Post #256

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Progress, I bet Mark get's it figured out soon.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jun 3 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #257

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 26 2011, 08:46 PM) *

I may bring it down & leave it with McMark. Just let him figure it out & write a check when I pick it up to drive it home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .

I had to swallow my pride and do that last month. McMark got my 914 running, and his rates are very reasonable. Now I wish I could be there this weekend to see you in town! My 914 is still at the OC shop, more rustoration in progress!
Have a safe trip (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jzdu
post Jun 3 2011, 06:22 PM
Post #258

Member No.: 9,268

I'm in the same boat. I've got a local mechanic helping with the final hookup of the D-jet. I can't wait to hear this thing run!!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 12 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #259

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I brought my LE home today. After 10 months of being at this shop. I am in the same boat as when I dropped it off. Well some parts have been replaced. Not sure if I am any closer though. I won't get to mess with it until late saturday

Two hours on the clock and I just finished the 20min break in period. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 12 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #260

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Careful with that Mark guy Jamie... looks like he's billing to two hours for 20 minutes worth of work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2024 - 01:58 AM