Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heat exchangers for a six, Who makes the best?
GeorgeRud
post Dec 1 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A good carbon monixide detector (used in small airplanes and RVs) would be an excellent safety item in either the new stainless exchangers or old repaired ones. This is not something to play around with!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
amallagh
post Dec 2 2008, 02:55 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 6,767

QUOTE(TedK @ Dec 2 2008, 03:25 AM) *

Their website says 1500 pounds before shipping, how did you get them to give you that price? I must say those do look nice, I am most interested in this product.

thanks
tk

Ted, the price on their website is £1300+ VAT(17.5%)= £1527.50.
In the last few days VAT(Value Added Tax) has now been reduced to 15% in the UK. If Ian is sending them to the US maybe he does not have to charge you the VAT ?
Johnny, do you know if this is what Ian has done to give you the price of £1305 shipped ? I would be interested to know the breakdown of the £1305 between base price, tax (if any?) and postage if you know this ?

The 'leaking welds' thing does seem to have been mixed up with carbon steel items. Hayward & Scott have always made their huge variety of stainless manifolds, exhaust boxes and heat exchangers like this from component bends without a problem. As long as the item is fabricated properly to start with then it won't leak and can easily be tested during fabrication. Corrosion in use is then not an issue like it would be with any carbon steel items.
Regards
Andrew
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 4 2008, 03:14 PM
Post #63

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

£1305.00 is the price Ian quoted me, including shipping. £130.00 was for the shipping. "VAT" is not applicable to a non resident/taxpayer so I was not charged w/ it. I believe they have lowered their price & did not update their website, but I'm not sure of this. In corresponding w/ Ian, I explained to him I could not order over their website, because I don't live in any of the English Counties listed on their order page. He understood & implied he's having difficulties updating the website.

I'm still waiting on the exchangers as they are being built. I hope I don't have to worry about CO2 or CO leaks w/ a new, stainless steel product. I am concerned w/ the difficulty of installation... might need a special 13mm wrench of some sort to tighten down the exhaust nuts. Does anyone make a ratchet box end wrench, that is also deep dish & small?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 4 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #64

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I hope I don't have to worry about CO2 or CO leaks w/ a new, stainless steel product.

"Any" time you have welds hidden underneath your heat exchanger boxes I would follow George's advice.

It can be the best welds in the world but let's face it... these things can get hot and they bounce up and down under your car with the weight of the exhaust, road debry can hit them, etc. Things can and will change over time.

Please play it safe Al.
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Dec 8 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #65

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

I like the Eberspacher Idea. Cheaper than exchangers too. Has any one ever fitted one to a 914 (or any car)??
I know the 914-8 had one
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 20 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #66

Well, the Hayward & Scott exchangers are on their way as of Monday. $1964.74US shipped to my house. Don't understand how the price is so low, but that's what I've been billed on my CC & I'm not complaining.
According to Ian, the units had to be tested for leaks before shipping... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I've got my fingers crossed.
+Quote Post
number6
post Dec 20 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 9,546
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Dec 20 2008, 08:44 AM) *

Well, the Hayward & Scott exchangers are on their way as of Monday. $1964.74US shipped to my house. Don't understand how the price is so low, but that's what I've been billed on my CC & I'm not complaining.
According to Ian, the units had to be tested for leaks before shipping... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I've got my fingers crossed.

Swweeet! Please let us know how they work out. My B&B are now confirmed no good in the heat department, so I'm really hoping this will be a good alternative to having to restore a set of original HEs. I definitely prefer stainless and don't mind running a CO detector as a precaution.

Hope the H&S are everything you expect and beyond!

-duc
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 24 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #68

In writing w/ Ian the price I was quoted was less than it is on line & I fuched up & kept my mouth shut. I was told they would be shipped out this Monday. They were @ my door Tuesday around 4pm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif). Ian never said it would be an overnight delivery, which is why I was billed £130.00 for shipping. Had I inquired as to the breakdown of the billing, I might have paid even less & waited another month. Oh well...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
number6
post Dec 24 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #69

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Dec 24 2008, 04:42 PM) *

In writing w/ Ian the price I was quoted was less than it is on line & I fuched up & kept my mouth shut. I was told they would be shipped out this Monday. They were @ my door Tuesday around 4pm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif). Ian never said it would be an overnight delivery, which is why I was billed £130.00 for shipping. Had I inquired as to the breakdown of the billing, I might have paid even less & waited another month. Oh well...

Al, when will those puppies go on? Can't wait to hear what you report back. Here's to them working out as you hope! Happy holidays.

-duc
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 24 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #70

QUOTE(number6 @ Dec 24 2008, 08:15 PM) *

Al, when will those puppies go on?
-duc

I have to finish getting everything I need to have heat- J tubes, black engine hoses & I'm not sure about the condition of my flapper lever & cable. I have 2 NOS bus flapper boxes that I have to re-weld the lever in the different position to make them work. Also have 2 new orange hoses for underneath. I need cable clamps, new exhaust gaskets for the block & muffler, new nuts & maybe new studs... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
number6
post Dec 24 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #71

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Dec 24 2008, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(number6 @ Dec 24 2008, 08:15 PM) *

Al, when will those puppies go on?
-duc

I have to finish getting everything I need to have heat- J tubes, black engine hoses & I'm not sure about the condition of my flapper lever & cable. I have 2 NOS bus flapper boxes that I have to re-weld the lever in the different position to make them work. Also have 2 new orange hoses for underneath. I need cable clamps, new exhaust gaskets for the block & muffler, new nuts & maybe new studs... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

So tomorrow? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 24 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #72

Has anyone got a part number for the rubber gasket (giant o ring) that wraps the j tube in the engine tin? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 24 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #73

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

6's don't have that, and they don't have J tubes either. The heat set up on a 6 has paper hoses from the air nozzles on the fan shroud that go down to the heat exchangers. The paper hoses are a larger diameter than the ones that go from the 4 blower to the J tubes. It's late and I can't remember the right size. If you have the air nozzles then you can just measure them. Also the 3.0 and later engines don't have air nozzles on both sides.
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Dec 25 2008, 12:49 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 7,604

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Dec 24 2008, 04:42 PM) *

Wow those are sweet! I am planning on running headers initially to get my car running but those are now on the some day list.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 25 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #75

QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 24 2008, 11:56 PM) *

6's don't have that, and they don't have J tubes either. The heat set up on a 6 has paper hoses from the air nozzles on the fan shroud that go down to the heat exchangers. The paper hoses are a larger diameter than the ones that go from the 4 blower to the J tubes. It's late and I can't remember the right size. If you have the air nozzles then you can just measure them. Also the 3.0 and later engines don't have air nozzles on both sides.

Thanks Perry, I did'nt know this. I do have nozzles on both sides. I still need that part number for the big rubber gromet- especially w/ a paper tube! Plus I need to replace them as well on the LE.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 25 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #76

I. I. R. C.

Al, only the 4's have that grommet. The paper hose is larger than the J tubes. I'm pretty sure I've got some of those grommets in stock though. I'll PM you as soon as I get back to the shop. I'm hoping to play golf tomorrow! Forcast temp near 70 here in TN, been very wet though.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jan 13 2009, 09:55 AM
Post #77

Seems wanting some heat in my car is nickle & diming me to death. I got a VAT bill from fedex for an additional $48.50. Then, to add insult to injury, pelican screwed up my order & sent me 12 exhaust gaskets & billed me. Be nice if I had a 4.5litre flat 12, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , & now I have to pay to ship 6 back just to get credited $30.00.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jan 13 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #78

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Come on now, get this done so we'll know if its the right thing for the rest of us.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jan 13 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #79

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 13 2009, 07:55 AM) *

Seems wanting some heat in my car is nickle & diming me to death. I got a VAT bill from fedex for an additional $48.50. Then, to add insult to injury, pelican screwed up my order & sent me 12 exhaust gaskets & billed me. Be nice if I had a 4.5litre flat 12, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , & now I have to pay to ship 6 back just to get credited $30.00.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

put the extras on the shelf( Gaskets that is) you will need them later after your valve ajustments and things like that....Save yourself time and money later down the road
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 13 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #80

I. I. R. C.

What I did on one conversion car was put the flapper boxes on the hard tubes coming out of the longs, and put the flex hoses from the heat exchangers to the mounted flapers. It did require grinding the welds off the arms for the flappers and re-indexing them so they worked properly. I also had to cut off the heater cable as it was too long to use the swaged ends, I just tightened them on the cable itself.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2024 - 02:17 PM