Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vise Grip moves to China
MrKona
post Dec 8 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,469
Region Association: None

QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Dec 8 2008, 04:16 AM) *

Also have you ever seen a list of part by country of a new Porsche? Lots of Japanese, Chinese parts in it. I think it was in the Pano that had the (then brand new) ‘05 997 in it.

Last year I ordered two front brake disks for a VW Golf from an online vendor. A note came with them, "These are made in the factory which supplies the VW assembly plant in China. They are excellent; as good as the German ones used to be." "PS: Some of the German companies are selling re-boxed ones made in China and South America so "Made In Germany" now for sure means "at least boxed in Germany".)"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Dec 8 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 4,469

Too bad Vise-Grip can't have two lines, like Sears does with their hand tools. Cheapo made in China for the masses ("Companion") and also their made in U.S.A. line.

I'm assuming Sears is making a profit on their made in U.S.A. hand tools. I'd find it hard to believe they would carry such a large brand of made in U.S.A. hand tools if it was losing money.
+Quote Post
brer
post Dec 8 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

I bought some valves for a 912
said Germany on the box
inside on the valve was a little sticker that said South Afrika.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 8 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #44

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(brer @ Dec 8 2008, 08:47 AM) *

said Germany on the box

Well, we *did* own Namibia at one point in time ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Was called "Deutsch Südwestafrika" back then.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Andy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Dec 8 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #45

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

What ever happened to all those fondue sets SNL was gonna send to Namibia? Did Garrett Morris abscond with all the donations? Is he selling them on E-bay?

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Dec 8 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #46

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

another societal issue that plays into this is that we are becoming more and more wasteful - we are really becoming a throw away society.

A simple example is the current view regarding technology - I literally just ordered a new laptop last week because my "old" one I use all the time is 7yrs old now and was the "top of the line" everything whiz-bang business IBM Thinkpad that ULCA required me to have for my MBA. That machine is an absolute dinosaur now - I have a hard time viewing highly compressed YouTube stuff and other vid sites I actually can't even play the vid because the graphics card is "so" old for example.

So our kids are being raised with the mentality that anything that is over 5yrs old is just that... old. That ripples thru everything - it becomes a fundamental way of thinking. And people of my generation (Gen X, now we have Gen Y) are similar thinking now.

And that plays into tools. As previously stated by a fellow teener, many people barely use tools and will never wear out even the shittiest of tools. So, if the Chinese tool is 1/3 the cost, the view is "I can break three of these before I pay for one good one and I will never use it enough to break 3 of 'em" so they buy the disposable tool, break one after a couple years, throw it away and buy another and die before breaking it and buying a third one.

It is very wasteful, but cheaper overall and that is where our societal mentality is heading - being wasteful isn't a sin if it is cheaper. I, however, was raised by parents that were absolutely furious if the wash machine died within the first fifteen years of purchase - my shit-ass "whiz-bang" LG washer died in 2 yrs and the dryer has been having issues since just after the 1yr warranty but I can make work. That was $2500 worth of bitchin' technology that lasts THREE years. And I have been searching online to buy better and can't find it - Sears stuff is junk, Hell even the old standby of Maytag has become questionable since they were bought out.

In short, I am getting a shitty viewpoint on life which sucks, but frankly, we're fucked folks. It is only going downhill in terms of quality pretty much across the board.

Oh yeah, I am using a Maytag washer again that I bought used when I moved out for $50 and it was built sometime in the 60s or 70s. The guy I bought it from in the 90s bought them used when he moved out in the early 80s! In 30yrs of service including my years, the previous owner had replaced the belt on the washer and the heating element on the dryer. The dryer element burned out again which is why I bought new stuff. Thankfully I kept the old washer "just in case" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Dec 8 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #47

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Dec 8 2008, 01:30 PM) *

So our kids are being raised with the mentality that anything that is over 5yrs old is just that... old. That ripples thru everything - it becomes a fundamental way of thinking. And people of my generation (Gen X, now we have Gen Y) are similar thinking now.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I'm kind of lucky there . . . both of my kids are driving old Volvo 240s (one in a 91, the other in an 83). But I'm sure part of the reason is that they know their old man can use his high quality tools to keep them running . . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Dec 8 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(anderssj @ Dec 8 2008, 02:45 PM) *

I'm kind of lucky there . . . both of my kids are driving old Volvo 240s (one in a 91, the other in an 83). But I'm sure part of the reason is that they know their old man can use his high quality tools to keep them running . . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) yep, the whole Spicoli "Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

If they are into Volvos they might want to check out Turbo Bricks forum. My friend has a fricken unbelievable late 80s wagon making 488HP and 501 ft-lbs torque out of 2.5L and drives it to work all the time!! (Quikswede is his Bricks name IIRC). He is now 3-4mph faster mph in the 1/4 mile than my obnoxious V8 'teen!

his personal site - he calls this car "Irene" and has lots of pix in his gallery as well.
http://www.denverspeed.com
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 8 2008, 07:33 PM
Post #49

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Dec 6 2008, 03:43 PM) *

I just sent a letter myself. Not that it will change anything, but damn is there ANYTHING made in the USA anymore?

Yep.The majority of MassIVe engine components.. I actually have some engines that only use USA made aftermarket parts..

BUT everyone gripes and says its too expensive...

Get ready, the Chinese are REALLY suffering due to our economy here... They are willing to pay shipping, make free tooling and etc just to get our buck.
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Dec 8 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

I'll tell you something funny along the lines of people buy cheap disposable crap.

I buy mostly antique and vintage when I can. Looks nicer and last longer. If I sell something I can almost always get my money back or more. I eat on 50-80 year old china with 22k leaf every day. I guarantee I paid less then what people pay for disposable crap.

What happens is these younger people get their parents estate when they die and just don't want this stuff. I move in and buy(they probably spend it at walmart). I pay cash and pennies on the dollar while my neighbors are struggling to pay the credit card they drove up on Ikea crap they already threw out.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Dec 8 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Nate, is your china made in china?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 8 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #52

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 8 2008, 06:41 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Dec 8 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Dec 7 2008, 07:32 AM) *

Where should we spend our economic stimulus money? If you spend it at Wal-Mart, it will go to china. If you buy some electronics, it will go to japan. If you buy gas, it will go to the middle east. So spend your money at garage sales- because those are the only businesses still based in America!

don't forget this quote guys - because he buys it at garage sales he is totally fine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) It was the bastard selling the used China that sold us out to China ahahahaha
+Quote Post
beech4rd
post Dec 8 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE(brer @ Dec 8 2008, 11:47 AM) *

said Germany on the box

Volkswagen has been building cars and vans in South Africa since the 1950s and the quality of the vehicles is very high. They are very resourceful- for instance they installed water-cooled VW Golf engines in their local version of the Vanagon and it was considerably more powerful than the US version. Mercedes builds most of the right hand drive C Class MBs for Britain, Australia and Japan there.
I have a great Vise Grip that I discovered risted solid to the trunk of a 914 parts car I bought. Freed it from the trunk, soaked in it PB blaster for a day and it's been fine since then. Made in the USA 30 years ago.
Have to agree that people that use tools to earn a living tend to buy US and European manufactured because of the quality and those that plan to use that screwdriver twice a year buy Asian. My business inviolves working with wood and most of our tools are German, Italian and US built. Even Japanese tools, while reasonably good and very reliable, don't have the out and out quality of a German tool.

Chris
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Dec 8 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505

QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 8 2008, 06:41 PM) *

HAHA The sad thing is I know the history of most of my antiques better then I will ever admit.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 9 2008, 07:32 AM
Post #56

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I only buy US made stuff at garage sales.
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Dec 9 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #57

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Dec 9 2008, 02:52 AM) *

What happens is these younger people get their parents estate when they die and just don't want this stuff. I move in and buy(they probably spend it at walmart). I pay cash and pennies on the dollar while my neighbors are struggling to pay the credit card they drove up on Ikea crap they already threw out.

This sounds like what is going on all over Europe. My wife and I have been buying up all sorts of old (30-50yrs old) oak furniture. We bought an oak dinner table recently that is in nearly perfect condition and weighs so much two people can't lift it. The whole continent is getting rid of their hand made quality household goods and is going to IKEA and other "modern furniture" stores. It is like everyone went crazy. I am pretty young, but I don't understand this idea that everything is disposable. I buy nice things once. Way easier and usually cheaper.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2024 - 12:42 PM