Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: I drove across Lake Superior on the ICE!
Ferg
post Feb 6 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 5 2009, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(zambezi @ Feb 5 2009, 08:53 PM) *

Pretty neat Rick. Most of my relatives live in Washburn or Ashland Wisconsin which is not far from Madelin Island. Have gone there lots during the summer months as a kid.

Ya, I've taken the ferry over during the summer on several occasions. You must have bee to the Bayfield Apple Festival a time or two.

I love Bayfield!! Camped just N or town in my westy on the shore... Rode the Mtn bike a bunch in Chequamegon forest, Good times.

I also have been on the ice like that, but on a bike. I raced and won the first ever "International Ice" Mountain Bike race touted as the first race to go from one country to the next and back. That was over at Drummond Island MI to Canada and back, those cracks are scary on a Mtn Bike as they will swallow your wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Neat stuff.

Ferg (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 6 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #22

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Lake Superior is the only lake in Minnesota/Wisconsin that doesn't freeze over. I still have an ice house with my brothers on the Dead Sea... er, Mille Lacs. I would be freaked to drive on Lake Superior because I know in the back of my mind there are ships navigating it at the same time I am driving on it, but right now the ice on Mille Lacs if about 3 feet thick.

Nice pics Rick. Reminds me of why I stayed in California when I got here. I am all thawed out! 65 degrees yesterday!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 6 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #23

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

If I had to guess I'd say it was at least a foot. It's creepy when you can see through it though and there's big cracks, air bubbles and pockets in it.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sww914
post Feb 6 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

That strikes me as a really bad idea. I suppose that if everyone else is doing it I'd do it too, like a damned lemming in a 4th grade science movie.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 6 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #25

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 6 2009, 07:22 AM) *

Lake Superior is the only lake in Minnesota/Wisconsin that doesn't freeze over. I still have an ice house with my brothers on the Dead Sea... er, Mille Lacs. I would be freaked to drive on Lake Superior because I know in the back of my mind there are ships navigating it at the same time I am driving on it, but right now the ice on Mille Lacs if about 3 feet thick.

Nice pics Rick. Reminds me of why I stayed in California when I got here. I am all thawed out! 65 degrees yesterday!

Ya, Mille Lacs is shallow. It freezes thick. But Mille Lacs is friggin Big too. With the curve of the earth it looks like an ocean. I've driven around Mille Lacs lots last summer. There was a big wind storm there on the east shore last year.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Feb 6 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #26

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

when Sue was working in teh U.P. in MI we went way out on teh ice. there were spots where the ice was clear as glass. we could see teh ripples in teh sand on teh bottom of the lake. they were racing "ice boats" its a sail rig with ice skate shoes. they had some guys going over 50 mph under sail power and ice shanties 2 miles out. there was an entire party town out htere.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Feb 6 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #27

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mille Lacs is a great windsurfing lake we used to do reaches across it back and forth,

Robbie Nash once called it his favorite lake to surf on.

When i was a young kid there was a trading post there, Indians who live on the reservation land lived there. This was a peak into the past that i will never forget. Some still wore there traditional dress lived in teepees and birch bark huts and had drying racks of fish and meat hanging on them. If i knew then what i know now, i wish i walked up into there camp and visited with them.
Instead our parents told us not to interact with them because quite a few would come begging.
The trading post had a black bear that you could hand an Orange crush to through the cage and the bear would sit up and guzzle it.

Sorry for the memory lane trip, now back to driving on solid lakes.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 05:22 AM