Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resurrecting EVIL !
jonferns
post Feb 16 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #161

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

Wow Scotty, that looks great! Can't wait to see it in paint.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 16 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #162

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Dude, that is fantastic! Above and beyond. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 21 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #163

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

I got the rear trunk lid all blocked out and smooth as a babies bottom. All that is left on it is several primings and wet blockings. Got started on the roof panel. Before Pat has a heart attack, this top was one I had that a tree limb went through so it would have needed more work than was feasible for a stock car. Mike wanted it smoothed and painted body color so out came the sander. Also got the bumper to body matched up and since these pics that edge has a smooth transition and is ready to do final body work on. hung the doors and have a little massaging to do at the bottoms where they meet the body.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Also marked and started cutting the holes for the oil tank before I left on friday.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Feb 21 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #164

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

Is the targa going to be body color?
+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Feb 28 2010, 02:35 AM
Post #165

Member No.: 8,088

Evil, don't know if this woulb be of interest to you: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OFFENHAUSER...s#ht_500wt_1170
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 28 2010, 02:37 AM
Post #166

QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Feb 28 2010, 03:35 AM) *

Evil, don't know if this woulb be of interest to you: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OFFENHAUSER...s#ht_500wt_1170

Nope. My 2.7L Porsche 6 is going into this car. The bus is using a chevy trans so no need there. Also, I already have one for later experiments (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

good looking out, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 12 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #167

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Must be something about this color on a 914 that attracts stuff to hit them!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-3419-1236211411.jpg)

Here's mine - same color - hit by a sorority ditz in a UCLA parking structure & pushed front into wall during my MBA days back in 5/85! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image

BTW - I painted it that color in 5/80 as "tarmac camouflage" when my point count reached 1 short of loss of license time - how about you Doc?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I have no idea why this post suddenly jumped up on my forum subscription, but looking at the "new" shell/roller Scotty started with for the transplant - it's the PERFECT illustration of why one should know thy limits, when it comes to body work! If you want it done right the first time, and aren't a true expert in this stuff yourself, then you're far better off having someone like Scotty do it for you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I've taken a fair bit of flak on here in my "how to approach my resto" type posts, from other so-called 914-xperts about why I'd send mine to a body shop - am I crazy, etc. - when I want it right & without the 500 lbs of extra bondo that I'm sure I'd end up with - along with crappy joints & welds etc. - if I were to attempt it myself. With 1/4" - 1/2" thick piles of crap filler that Scotty has scraped off this tub, it should be a lesson to all. Plus - if you're not cuttin' the checks, don't disparage the one who is! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Oh - Doc, Zach, RobW & several others have noted here about trying to do this 914 stuff while you're in med/grad school, raising families, etc. - S**T - I don't know how the hell you do it boyz!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) My solution was simple - put it in the garage on blocks for 24+ years while I finished my MBA, ran my biz, got remarried & raised a family, then do it when I've got more time & bucks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

AWSOME work Scotty!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) .... wish you were here in SoCal!

Tom T
Orange CA
early-73 914-2.0 - the others are cool classics, but this is the one that counts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 12 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #168

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

PS - if it's not too late, do some Tangerine SS tunnel fuels lines, so you don't flame Scotty's hard work! I recall reading in an earlier post that the one's in your wreck broke & flamed when he was welding/cutting on it in his shop.
.... good lesson of why to change now IMHO! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 12 2010, 08:33 PM
Post #169

Mine were/are SS. I make my own for about $30 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The issue with the crash was that the fire folks could not find them.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post May 11 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #170

rust free you say ?

Got some time in last week. Not a whole lot worth taking pics of. Spent a lot of time going over the body cleaning up edges, wheel wells, and pinholes in the filler. still fucking with the bumpers, roof is flat and ready for primer, and got the mirrors and rear reflector mounted.

Mike please do everyone a favor and tell them who NOT to buy bumpers from (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post May 20 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #171

rust free you say ?

Threw some high build on Miguels top while I had it mixed up yesterday.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post May 20 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #172

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
arkitect
post May 21 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #173

Member No.: 11,426

Dr. Evil,
what color is it going to be? Can't wait to see it finished.

Scotty,
good work, your a patient man.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 21 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #174

We are still working on the color. I want a dark gray/gunmetal/with some black/and silver all mixed together. Easy, right?
+Quote Post
type11969
post May 21 2010, 07:15 AM
Post #175

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/coto2.files.wordpress.com-1410-1274447726.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post May 21 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #176

Member No.: 10,598

I know I'll get an ass whooping for this question, but I honestly gotta know...why spend the inordinate amount of time, and money to restore something this far gone, when there are many better examples out there that require far less in both time and money. I love 914s, more than almost any other car...certainly more than any car in it's value range, but I don't get it. Again...not being critical...just wondering the rationale. If it were a Bugatti Atlantic...
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post May 21 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #177

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ May 21 2010, 09:23 AM) *

I know I'll get an ass whooping for this question, but I honestly gotta know...why spend the inordinate amount of time, and money to restore something this far gone, when there are many better examples out there that require far less in both time and money. I love 914s, more than almost any other car...certainly more than any car in it's value range, but I don't get it. Again...not being critical...just wondering the rationale. If it were a Bugatti Atlantic...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 21 2010, 08:46 AM
Post #178

You live in MD and you think this car is too far gone to save? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) The body was far better than anything I found in months of searching in the East. After living here for a few years, it is still far better than most examples. It has not taken more work than it should, I am having lots of stuff done to it and Scotty is using it as a platform to demonstrate some of his skills (lucky me!).

What exactly about this car makes you think that it was not worth using? It was free, pretty rust free, and would not have required much to bring to stock if that were the way we were going. I would rather modify a car that is not perfect than to find a better one that is stock and mess with it.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 21 2010, 08:57 AM
Post #179

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I think that Ken thinks that this is the car you nudged with a telephone pole.

It isn't. parts were taken from the horseshoe car and moved over to the body doner.

Zach
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 21 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #180

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 21 2010, 09:57 AM) *

I think that Ken thinks that this is the car you nudged with a telephone pole.

It isn't. parts were taken from the horseshoe car and moved over to the body doner.

Zach

I think the word "nudged" is a huge understatement... but I like the "horseshoe car" name.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2024 - 10:26 PM