Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resurrecting EVIL !
Dr Evil
post Feb 26 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #61

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Feb 26 2009, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 26 2009, 08:57 AM) *

When you say "oil cans in the door", is that slang? What does it mean?

It's a flaw in a sheetmetal panel caused by being stretched. Typically located in a large, predominantly flat section (like a door panel). Its name refers to its behavior when pushed -- it will pop in or pop out, much like the bottom of an oil squirt-can. Fixing an oil can dent properly requires that the metal be shrunk. (Or you can go with the "trailer" fix -- just pop it in and mud it up.)

Ah, that makes sense.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 26 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #62

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Dave hit it on the head. As for my method I just played around until I figured it out, so It's kind of hard for me to explain. I just knew how the metal reacts from heat. You need to be able to read dent, basically tell where the outer edges are, figure out WHAT cuased it, and then reverse it. An easy way is the whack the oil can a few times in different locations with a pick hammer backed with a block of wood. This will lock the dent back into place. Next heat and cool ( with a wet rag ) around the outer perimiter of the original oil can. This will shrink the metal back down to hold it tight. Then you can go back to the pick hammer spots and dolly them flat. This will get you alot closer, but if you want a " no filler " repair it will take much more time, and some better tools. John Kelly makes a shriking disc that works well, but takes time to know haow to use it. Time I haven't spent with it yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Most of what I know I figured out on my own, and becuase of that I am not good at explaining how I do it, I just do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I tried to teach a couple of my friends how to snowboard once. they looked at me like I was speaking Gaelic, they went and took a 30 minute class (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 4 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #63

rust free you say ?

As most of you probably nkow Mike got the wreck down to me last weekend. I thought I'd post some pics of it and also to show you all how a car reacts, and transfers the impact during an accident.

Keep in mind as you look at these that this was a fairly low speed accident BUT it was against an immovable oblect, not another car that would have contibued to move after being struck.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 4 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #64

rust free you say ?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 4 2009, 06:08 PM
Post #65

rust free you say ?

This is where it starts to get interesting. As you will notiuce alot of the next set of pics are of the DRIVERS side. There is one where my hand is pointing out 2 spots that in the pic are hard to see, but they are where the trunk floor had buckled.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 4 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #66

rust free you say ?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) In the pic of the car on jack stanmds the stands are at the same height. That is how much the car twisted at only 35 m.p.h.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #67

How embarrassing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Mar 4 2009, 06:13 PM
Post #68

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

I remember seeing pics of this when the accident happened. I can't remember who the passenger was (maybe he doesn't remember either) but Hicheemama he's lucky!!

Nice to see parts of this car being brought back to life. Glad everyone was okay
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 4 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #69

rust free you say ?

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 4 2009, 04:11 PM) *

How embarrassing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Not trying to embarrase you Mike I just thought alot of guys would find the inertia aspect interesting. Now for the happy pic. The front end, sway bar and steering is all swapped over, and I have about half of the front trunk / gas tank hole sanded and ready to prime and color (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 4 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #70

rust free you say ?

Oh and um I set the wreck on fire today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Pretty good one too. I was cutting the center tunnel to get access to the wiring harness and fuel lines and apparently there was quite a bit of fuel IN the tunnel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Doesn't bode well for saving the lines as it would appear one of them is cracked. I will still get them out to make certain that is the issue and not some odd fuel drain back.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #71

My passenger was Chris (Type11969 ). He is doing well, but he had to endure some dental work....which no one would enjoy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #72

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 4 2009, 07:17 PM) *

Oh and um I set the wreck on fire today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Pretty good one too. I was cutting the center tunnel to get access to the wiring harness and fuel lines and apparently there was quite a bit of fuel IN the tunnel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Doesn't bode well for saving the lines as it would appear one of them is cracked. I will still get them out to make certain that is the issue and not some odd fuel drain back.

The fuel lines are replaceable, they are converted brake lines and cost me about $10. However, the wiring harness is important to me as I dont have a replacement, I know you do, though.

I am glad that you posted the pics. No worries. People need to see what can happen when you use a brake T, drive too fast, brake coming out of a turn, on cold tires after a morning mist (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Mar 4 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #73

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

I would never make light of a lost car and an injured friend; hopefully enough time has passed that you can start to shrug it off and move on, but, um, the front shot of Mike's car on the stands looks like Mater from cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #74

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Funny
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #75

Was the front end in ok shape? Was that rear shock collapsed?
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 4 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #76

rust free you say ?

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 4 2009, 04:40 PM) *

Was the front end in ok shape? Was that rear shock collapsed?

Front end appeard to be fine. I saw no signs of anything being bent. As for the rear I haven't taken it off yet ( probably tomorrow ) but yes it appears to be collapsed. I was under the back end today looking at how the mount is attatched and looked at that strut up close. Damn shame (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Mar 4 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #77

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 4 2009, 07:31 PM) *

in a gut-wrenching sort of way.

You have to be impressed with 35 year old engineering; all those crumpled panels probably absorbed enough impact to have kept this from being worse on the driver and passenger.

Between you and ScottyB I'm sure your new one will be even better!
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Mar 4 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

Ouch!
Hope you're saving the rear flares for the new car Scotty! Those were some great looking flares when I went to pick up my tranny stack.

Hmmmm..... looks like a prime LS1 swap candidate! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Oops - I guess it's getting the sixer... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
flippa
post Mar 4 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

"Scotty, we'd cut that car up out here. You need to have us look for a tub for ya."

What????? Cut that car up????? You West Coast guys kill me; this thing is a cream puff!!!

Nice job guys, the car will be mint when it is done. Looking forward to watching this one.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

Sorry, just love the sheep.

THese things amaze me how whell they hold up in an accident. Hit on the passanger's door like that @ 35 mph the only serious loss was a few teeth (and the poor car).

Looks like Rich Toole's son's car; took the hit in the same spot. Your car looks a bit more twisted than his was.

Mike, what was it you hit that stopped the car, a tree or utility pole?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 4 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #80

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Damn, that was one nice car. Your next one will be even nicer once Scotty does his magic.

You shouldn't be embarrassed; you just got caught out on one of PA's fucked up roads. There are no burms on most PA roads, there was never any forward planning, poor construction and sub-base, and nonexistent maintenance. There are roads around here where if you put a wheel on the white line, you'll be off the road.

A friend at work had a momentary lapse of attention, put one wheel to the right of the white line and instead of being on the burm, he was in a ditch and caused $2500 suspension damage.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2024 - 11:29 PM