Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hey paint and body guys, have a look at this, and tell me what you think.....
URY914
post Sep 15 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

This started as a paint bubble and grew to about 2" in diameter than it cracked and opened up.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
URY914
post Sep 16 2009, 07:19 AM
Post #21

****************************************************************************************************

Thank you Rick and a few others for a real answer to my questions. As for another lid, I have another one but it has rust along the bottom edge and is worst than this one. Most good lids in Florida are on cars already. Shipping a lid in from out West would not be cost effective. I will probably go ahead and strip it myself.

Fiberglass on a true daily driver is not a smart thing to do IMHO. I need all the steel I can get driving around here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 16 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #22

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 16 2009, 05:19 AM) *

Thank you Rick and a few others for a real answer to my questions. As for another lid, I have another one but it has rust along the bottom edge and is worst than this one. Most good lids in Florida are on cars already. Shipping a lid in from out West would not be cost effective. I will probably go ahead and strip it myself.

Fiberglass on a true daily driver is not a smart thing to do IMHO. I need all the steel I can get driving around here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ditto on the rusty lid thing. I have a couple of those swiss cheese ones myself. Have you ever cut one open? They have foam inside the trailing edge. The latch end.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Like that's not going to speed rust.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Sep 16 2009, 09:10 AM
Post #23

Yep, and you can't get to the back side at the bottom edge. If I were to cut it out and weld it back in I wouldn't be able to get behind it to clean up my welds.

The red lid pictured is the best one to fix.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Sep 16 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #24

Racer from Birth

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Sorry Paul, I didn't have a spare rear lid at Gary's

T.C.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Sep 16 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #25

No problem. I'll work with what I have. Thanks
+Quote Post
charliew
post Sep 17 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I promise you that lid even after you clean the whole top surface and prep it and spend 150.00 easy on just the epoxy primer, sandable primer, filler and sealer coat, it will not ever be a pleasant thought in your mind cause it will have more problems later. Of course if it's just something to sell to someone else sooner than a year or so, it's done all the time.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 18 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #27

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 17 2009, 09:31 PM) *

I promise you that lid even after you clean the whole top surface and prep it and spend 150.00 easy on just the epoxy primer, sandable primer, filler and sealer coat, it will not ever be a pleasant thought in your mind cause it will have more problems later. Of course if it's just something to sell to someone else sooner than a year or so, it's done all the time.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Charlie's dropped some good painting advice on me, too and he's been right so far. BTW Charlie, I ended up sanding that por15 off the hood and sanding down to good metal. Should have done that in the first place. In my case; the shortcut was the longcut.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Sep 18 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 9,209

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Replace it . you will never be satisfied with ,or completely happy with any repair. what could a good replacement , rust free , possably cost? not much I think. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 18 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #29

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I trust Rick's advice and ScottyB....two guys that make/made a living doing paint and body work.

I dont use rust treatment..tried all of them, none of them work with the current formulations of paint etc.
Never use POR 15 under topcoat paint surfaces...its made for frames...not hoods.

Just go back old school. Sand blast it, and start from there.

I use a sandblaster to ensure that all the pits are rust free....a wire brush does not do it, it just cleans the high spots.

Rent/buy/borrow a sand blaster...( I have a speedblaster...its awesome)

Clean all the rust, then put either a decent etching primer down, or an epoxy primer. Etching works easier and its alot cheaper...its sold by the rattle can at most decent paint stores.

Buy the skim coat bondo...its sprayable...so its really thin.
You dont need to spray it....but you can put it on really thin..use it like an off color coat to find the high spots by sanding till you expose all the high spots and low spots...keep repeating and ensure you have etching primer on any newly exposed bare metal.

Then spray a sealer on it..again, sold in rattle can form.
then paint it...otherwise the paint can look kinda splotchy in the sunlight if you have bondo in one place and not in another...
Its just a primer/sealer...goes over all the bodywork...then gets sanded to 400-600 grit wet....

Should last longer than the rest of the paint on the car...lol

One more thing...go find a decent auto paint store.
Talk to them about the product lines they use with your long term plans in mind.
This painting stuff is very complex chemistry and you really need to stick with one vendor from primer to clear coat...
Pro guys can probably swap certain favorite products, but guys like us, who are not trained in multiple brands are much wiser to stick with one brand (and one product line within that brand)

Base coat/clear coat is more forgiving and easier to fix than single stage systems.

Rich
+Quote Post
URY914
post Sep 18 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #30

Thanks Rich,

I've been using rattle can etching primer on other areas of the car. Got it at a large paint and body supplys store.

Paul
+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Sep 18 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 10,446

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 18 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #32

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Hate to piss on your parade Paul, but that bondo where you featherd it does not appear to be bonded to the lid AT ALL. Look specifically at the upper right side, looks like you can get a fingernail right undser it. That WILL come up on it's own !! That thing needs a complete strip job. Then what Rich and Rick said. If you can't get hold of a sandblaster ( be careful of your pressure and DO NOT shoot directly at the panel, get some angle on it or you will warp the metal ) You can use a higher quality etching product. Some paint manufacturers have an etch primer that also neutralizes SMALL quantities of rust like that left in deep pits.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Sep 19 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #33

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had mine dipped and derusted for about $50 bucks at the local metal dip and strip metal refinisher- American Metal Refinishers. They use the dip electrical rust removal process that only attacks the rust without removing metal. They showed me an engine block that had been derusted and the cylinder bores were not enlarged.

For my trunk, I carefully pried open the fold under the lid where you lift to open the trunk so that they had access to the rust bubbles in the fold.

Came back with the foam gone, and all the rust eliminated.

I did have to bang on the lid for awhile (gently) as the rust was turned to a black crunchy stuff that was either stuck to the lid or rattling around. Poured POR into the seams, and refolded the flap. I do have a coupla small pin holes on the underside support structure near the latch that need cutting and patching but the lid is rust free.

I've been using them for other difficult jobs such as removing rust from inside of that double walled area in the front fender and if they know exactly what you want, they do a really great job.
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 19 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It looks like the original purpose of the bondo was to fill depression made in the lid by pushing on the non-reinforced area to close the lid, most of the used rear lids I see have concave sheet metal in this area. In my experience if you re-bondo the area it will again delaminate from the metal when the sheet metal (of the lid) is flexed. You probably need to fix the "oil can" sheet metal then finish.

+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 19 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #35

Racer from Birth

It's all stripped, Come & get her

T.C.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 19 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #36

I picked it up from TC on the way home and got some paint on it.

I used flat black Rustolum and a foam roller. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 19 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #37

Racer from Birth

QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 19 2009, 07:48 PM) *

I used flat black Rustolum and a foam roller. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Oct 19 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #38

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That foam roller will give it a cool texture
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 20 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #39

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 19 2009, 10:09 PM) *

If done right, this kind of paint can look really good. Has to be thinned out, lots of coats, lots of sanding though.

Zach
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 20 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 20 2009, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 19 2009, 10:09 PM) *

If done right, this kind of paint can look really good. Has to be thinned out, lots of coats, lots of sanding though.

Zach

I read the whole story about the guy that did it that way. It was on another forum. It took him forever to finish it. Roll-dry-wait-wet sand-repete 20 times. That is not what I plan to do here. I painted it as just a temporary fix.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 12:13 AM