Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Diesel build....
PatrickB
post Jul 4 2018, 04:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,960
Region Association: Canada

Here goes nothin....
Been planning this for a while, but it was supposed to be a winter project. Wasn't quite ready yet. KEP adaptor parts have been sitting here. Timeline moved up because of a failure.
Had a chirp that turned into a BAD miss, valve seat issue on one cylinder.Attached Image

Had a fresh 1.9 AAZ diesel sitting in my storage trailer that had never been fired. (honed, rings, bearings, injection pump reseal). "new" engine was destined for my daily beater . Same engine in the beater is getting a little tired, I've put at least 350,000 km on it and the compression is getting down. Still runs okay though. Swapped the "new" engine into the beater. 16 year old son is learning...Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jul 4 2018, 04:38 AM
Post #2

Plan is to build the car with the more tired engine, and pull it this winter to go through it if need be. Engine was "turned up" about 10 years ago, more fuel, timing advanced etc. and will outrun the same car with a gas engine all day long. Only change on installation is a T3 turbo instead of a K14 that it came with. Really easy to do while it's out of the car. Engine and trans met yesterday.Attached Image

Engine/trans and crossbar are sitting on the floor in approximate placement that it needs to be in order to get a good look and plan a front mount. We have a plan, not sure if it's the best plan but will work without any car body surgery.
Car in the past had a Dodge 360 in it, water lines are there to put the rad in the front but I'm going to try to run with a rad in the engine compartment. I'd like to have a sealed up front compartment again if I can make it work that way.
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jul 4 2018, 04:42 AM
Post #3

BTW I may have a complete 2L engine for sale at some point, needs head work and a piston. There's a pretty good mark in the piston where the valve seat made contact. Pretty sure carbs are Holley, at least they're a small progressive 2 barrel. Pertronix electronic in the distributor. Heater boxes are a little grubby but good shape. Exhaust is a 4 into one type with a cherry bomb looking muffler.
Anyone know where to get an electric oil pressure gauge that matches the gauges in the 914? I'd rather not run hot oil in the cab unless I have to. Clock doesn't work anyway, so I'd like an oil pressure gauge there instead. And a temp gauge with numbers... I'm going to try to hook the existing oil temp gauge to a water temp sender and see what happens, but I'd like to have numbers. Want to maintain stock appearance in the car if I can.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 4 2018, 05:42 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That will be very cool..
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 4 2018, 07:22 AM
Post #5

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

As a diesel owner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

A couple of people have done the swap.

As far as making them faster than their gas counterparts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) BTDT

Looking forward to this one.

BTW you might be able to run the RAD in the engine compartment. Diesels can idle all day and not overheat. Matter of fact I used to have to run up my engine on cold mornings even after driving for an hour to keep heat in the cabin on cold days. They really only generate heat when working, moving something, or spinning at 2000 RPM. At that point if designed correctly you should get enough airflow to pull it off.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Now I want to build a TDI 914 with the same specs as my old A4 TDI. It was a PD European specs with 175HP parts and a 6 speed. When done with all the mods it was 225HP and 450 FootPounds of earth moving torques. Still got 50 MPG in a heavy A4 chassis. Loved that engine, hated all the trouble that car was and sold it. Most likely right before I got it all sorted, as I see it about once a month tearing up the highway.

+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jul 4 2018, 07:37 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 4 2018, 09:22 AM) *

As a diesel owner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

A couple of people have done the swap.

As far as making them faster than their gas counterparts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) BTDT

Looking forward to this one.

BTW you might be able to run the RAD in the engine compartment. Diesels can idle all day and not overheat. Matter of fact I used to have to run up my engine on cold mornings even after driving for an hour to keep heat in the cabin on cold days. They really only generate heat when working, moving something, or spinning at 2000 RPM. At that point if designed correctly you should get enough airflow to pull it off.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Now I want to build a TDI 914 with the same specs as my old A4 TDI. It was a PD European specs with 175HP parts and a 6 speed. When done with all the mods it was 225HP and 450 FootPounds of earth moving torques. Still got 50 MPG in a heavy A4 chassis. Loved that engine, hated all the trouble that car was and sold it. Most likely right before I got it all sorted, as I see it about once a month tearing up the highway.
Exactly why I'm using the AAZ that I bought used mileage unknown and put another 350,000 or so on since. Trouble free... unless you count the time I changed the timing belt and didn't do the tensioner pulley... Hard on valves when you break the belt.
Going to set the engine in and look at the plumbing.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 4 2018, 07:43 AM
Post #7

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Extremely cool. Having had an ALH Golf for some time (described by some as VW's most reliable car, but only w the manual trans, given to my older daughter) I was always tempted to slap in a bigger turbo and a chip, bumping factory 90hp to 150 or so. Lots of torque, and in a 914, would probably return 60 mpg. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Gearing will be your bugaboo...

Can we get a pic of the recipient?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 4 2018, 08:03 AM
Post #8

The 914 converted with an ALH did about 60+ MPG, it has been done. The MK4 with a 5 speed is the best VW diesel ever, as long as the auxiliary electronics did not bring you down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) We had a 1999 that had so many Canbus issues I got rid of it. When the security module started to lock the car randomly and then set the alarm while it was driving and leaving my wife in the middle of an intersection not able to move the car, turn off the alarm, or open the door after she got out of the car. It was time to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Should have keep that engine, found a FWD Passat A4 or Audi and built a 914 with it.

All this talk is making me think about doing it again. Same HP as my Subaru, and more Torque. 60+ MPG. My wife would want a crappy tune so she could roll coal. I would go with a great tune so I could just (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) and fly by people thinking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

ALH Bigger Turbo 3" all the way to the back with Air to water intercooler, a great tune either Rocket Chip or (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) forgot my last tuner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) and a nice Passat Diesel 6 speed sourced from Europe to get the gearing right. my new radiator would be plenty big enough. Engine mounts would have to change as would trans mounts. Shit just got so simple, make a great fair wether commuter.

this thread is the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) doing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 4 2018, 08:17 AM
Post #9

How you doin'

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 4 2018, 10:03 AM) *

Should have keep that engine, found a FWD Passat A4 or Audi and built a 914 with it.

this thread is the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) doing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Haha, you're not kidding Stephen...

Me, "Sweetie, I found you a nice Camry/Yaris/Echo/Civic/Etc so you can give Dad back that stinky diesel and not have to worry about checking the oil all the time....

Do you have a thread for that build? Imagine a 1000 mile range on a teener...
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jul 4 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #10

Car was previously owned by a body shop owner, only untouched panel is the hood. Roof sanded and painted. All that reshaping is steel. Attached Image Attached Image

May go with a bigger diesel down the road (mechanical ALH??) but might not. Using this engine to build. Be easy to go bigger later.

As for gearing, the engine turns 2641 @ 100kmh in the old Jetta. Gets between 800 and 1000 km on a tank in the summer, tank hold 53 l. Best of 4.9l per 100k in that car. Average closer to 6 l/100k . The Porsche is at least 700 lbs lighter and not shaped like a brick, so....

Could use a higher last gear at least. Going to explore those options at a later date. Just want to make it run a this point.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jul 4 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #11

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

Subscribed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have wanted to do a TDI conversion for a while now. I have an '05 TDI my daughter currently drives. At some point may use it as the donor vehicle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 4 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #12

How you doin'

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jul 4 2018, 10:40 AM) *

Wow, never seen that. Kinda like 914 meets Ford Probe... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jul 4 2018, 09:16 AM
Post #13

Wow, never seen that. Kinda like 914 meets Ford Probe... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Good eye. Ford probe bumpers grafted on, then body kit hand built to match. Was in a paint calendar from PPG in 2005. Not the way I would have built the car.... but also the reason I don't feel guilty about changing stuff.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 4 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #14

How you doin'

Which now really makes it a perfect candidate for a diesel Swap. This is so cool, I'll be watching closely, thanks
+Quote Post
914-d
post Jul 4 2018, 10:20 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 15,974
Region Association: Northern California

One of my project is a 914 diesel...here are a few picsAttached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 4 2018, 10:22 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey that body work was done tastefully. All the quarters are steel? That is pretty impressive work. I'd drive that all day. While I can't say I would build one like it. I can sure appreciate the guy who built it. That is a sweet little ride. I don't even hate the wing on the back with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . Love to see the diesel build here. Sunscribed
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jul 4 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #17

Anyone know if this one ever got finished? PM had no response. Same engine but I think it's sitting farther ahead than I expect mine to.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=84047&st=0
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 4 2018, 12:29 PM
Post #18

Yes I think it got done, have not talked with him for a long, long time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 4 2018, 02:03 PM
Post #19

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I'm wondering about the gearbox... The gearing may be low for a diesel, and I'm wondering how the 901-based box will hold up to diesel torque...

--DD
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 4 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Very unique bodywork. Looks well done. Wonder how 944 taillights and reflector would look?

Can’t wait to see the build!
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:17 AM