Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turn signals, flashers, new to me
advman89
post Jul 9 2019, 07:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,286
Region Association: Upper MidWest

1971 914-4
New to me

Starting to sort out some things.

First up- turn signals.

The fuse box is missing it's cover, but the second fuse from the far right is missing...and adding one in immediately shorts.

So I pulled the flasher (as recommended on Rennlist before I found you guys!) And tested continutiy between #49 and left and right...nothing. The flasher isnte working.

Then I noticed a newer/modern looking relay hanging out behind the fuse panel...it's operating the turn signals. My suppostionn is that they have bypassed emergency flasher?

I got the turn signals working with cleaning the bulb sockets and using a little dilectic grease.

Id love to get the emergency flashers operating...has anyone else elese had anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 9 2019, 07:19 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Early cars used a different flasher than the later cars. I do not know the internal differences. Flasher shown is a solid state model. Early switches were mechanical. PET shows 914.618.303.11 for 70-72 cars. Early flashers are quite a bit larger than the late one. See if some one has a relay you can borrow to tes.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 9 2019, 07:40 AM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
advman89
post Jul 9 2019, 07:52 AM
Post #4

From what I can tell ..the emergency flasher module also controls the turn signals (in the factory setup). There is no relay on the back of the fuse panel for turn signals. Looks like they have spliced in this relay for some reason.
I am going to reach out the PO and see what her recollection of it is.
+Quote Post
advman89
post Jul 11 2019, 09:13 AM
Post #5

The PO said the emergency flashers had not worked in years...she wasn't sure when they would have been added.

I need to get back up under there and take some photos and see what's what.

I believe they have fully bypassed the emergency flasher with this thing.

+Quote Post
lierofox
post Jul 12 2019, 04:35 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,880

This should be the stock wiring for a 70-73 turn signal/hazard light circuit if you're curious.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1562970915.1.jpg)

The fuse 2nd from the right, fuse #11 (that you said immediately blows) has only a few different purposes. One of them is it goes directly to terminal 30 on the 4 way flasher switch in that diagram, it functions as the always-on power that allows the hazards to work even with the key off.

That same fuse also feeds the interior light, and it looks like the warning buzzer under the passenger seat.

Probably the easiest one to check would be to remove the passenger seat and see how nasty it looks under there, or if any wires have come loose and are grounding out under the seat.
+Quote Post
advman89
post Jul 12 2019, 09:34 PM
Post #7

My thought was the flasher switch was causing the short (one showed up in the mail today)...but I will check under the seat when i'm switching out the seat belts this weekend.

Thanks for the info!
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Jul 13 2019, 02:30 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,880

QUOTE(advman89 @ Jul 12 2019, 08:34 PM) *

My thought was the flasher switch was causing the short (one showed up in the mail today)...but I will check under the seat when i'm switching out the seat belts this weekend.

Thanks for the info!

I do seem to recall a while back that I tried using a flasher with a similar pin layout to the 914 flasher relay in my 1975, but, yeah, that one ended up blowing fuses. I was digging through the parts trays in our shop at work to try to see if I could find one that would work in that socket to see if a FLAPS flasher relay would work, it didn't!

I ended up replacing it with one from AA (V91461830311) and then did Spoke's EP26 electronic flasher mod when I converted my turn signals to LEDs.
+Quote Post
advman89
post Aug 6 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #9

After these early posts, my turn signals were working...and now they have stopped. I'll start by checking the relay--any tips on how to test it?

I'm planning on upgrading to LEDs bulbs all around, so I know there is a different relay recommended--is there a way to wire things up to keep the original Emergency flasher working with the newer relays?

This car would be best served to have emergency flashers in some way.

+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 6 2020, 08:36 PM
Post #10

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(advman89 @ Aug 6 2020, 06:34 PM) *

After these early posts, my turn signals were working...and now they have stopped. I'll start by checking the relay--any tips on how to test it?

I'm planning on upgrading to LEDs bulbs all around, so I know there is a different relay recommended--is there a way to wire things up to keep the original Emergency flasher working with the newer relays?

This car would be best served to have emergency flashers in some way.

It's difficult to test the flasher unit while it's in the car. There could be other wiring, fusing, connector and socket issues causing the flasher to not flash.

The best way to test the flasher is to remove it and test it on the bench. Put 12V at greater than 2amp between pin 49 (Pos) and pin 31 (Neg). Connect a 1156 bulb between 49a and 31. The flasher should flash.

In the 914 there is only one flasher relay. The 4-way emergency light use the same flasher relay as the turnsignals. The 4-ways are switch in with the flasher switch shown in the post above.

The EP26 LED-compatible flasher is pin-compatible with the OEM 914 flasher. EP26 can drive incandescent bulbs too.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:17 AM